Providing Veterans with the Care They Deserve
At the VNA, we recognize that our nation’s Veterans deserve our appreciation because of their selflessness. And as a nation, this is recognized by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) which in collaboration with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) launched the We Honor Veterans Program. This program focuses on “respectful inquiry, compassionate listening and grateful acknowledgement.”1 The goal of this amazing program is to help Veterans peacefully move through their end-of-life journey by providing educational tools and resources to those providing hospice services to the brave men and women who have served our country.
The four goals of this program are to promote Veteran focused educational activities, increase an organization’s capacity to serve Veteran patients, support the development of strategic partnerships within the community, and to increase access to care for Veterans and improve the quality of that care. The We Honor Veterans Program aims to help hospice providers understand the unique needs of Veterans to ensure they receive the care they need and deserve.
The VNA is a proud Level 3 Partner in We Honor Veterans. To obtain that Level 3 status, the VNA provides Veteran-centric education to staff and volunteers, seeks to identify patients with military experience, continues to build organizational capacity to provide care for Veterans, and develops relationships with other Veteran organizations. Some of the ways that the VNA shows Veterans our appreciation, in conjunction with our staff and Volunteer Services Department, is:
- Conduct a pinning ceremony to Veterans on hospice service, with a VNA volunteer or staff service member presenting the pin and a certificate to the patient.
- Present a handmade red, white and blue blanket to Veterans on hospice service, made by VNA volunteers.
- Provide Veterans staying in the Hospice House with a red, white and blue plaque noting their Veteran status on the door to their room.
- Participate in community-wide events and initiatives supporting our Veterans.
- Plan and execute Veterans Day ceremonies at assisted living, skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities with pinning ceremonies, patriotic music and a celebratory reception.
- Pair volunteers who served in the military with Veterans on hospice service with our Veterans-to-Veterans Program, providing assistance to help these patients stay in the comfort of their homes longer.
We strive to give our Veterans the best care because they sacrificed so much for us. The VNA is committed to ensuring our local Veterans have their unique needs met when we provide services to them. As we strive to become a Level 4 Partner in We Honor Veterans, the VNA hopes to expand our community collaborations with other Veteran organizations, creating a safety net of resources Veterans can rely on for access to the highest quality care.
To learn more about We Honor Veterans, visit: https://www.wehonorveterans.org/about/
If you would like to help support We Honor Veterans at the VNA, you can donate today to help purchase supplies for Veterans projects at: https://vnatc.org/patient-wish-list-items/
For more information about the VNA’s We Honor Veterans Program, please contact us at (772) 567-5551.